IT’S DAY TWENTY EIGHT so the perrrfect time to start our Ramadan Chronicles for this year don’t you think?
I haven’t been baking this entire time. Just haven’t. You know what else I haven’t been doing in a while…WATCHING CRICKET! And I mean for like the past two years.
TIME TO PROBLEM-SOLVE
World Cup 2019 is happeniiing, and Afghanistan is IN and so far on 0/1 but the most important thing is that they’re THERE and we are happy about it.
We’re 4 matches into the tournament and satisfied with about 1/4 of the situation.
Anyway, many lemons were present due to an early Ramadan outbreak of sicky-feelings and so now without such feelings and with still-present lemons one had to decide what to do.
Kookiees. I liked this recipe very much because the texture was confusingly nice. Soft and not cakey but a tiny bit chewy but not really and not crumbly but just kind of like a really dense cloud. Contributes nicely to that post-Iftar state:
- 1 cup sugar creamed with 115g butter.
- Then add 1 egg and 1 tsp vanilla.
- Then 1 3/4 cups flour with 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Then the lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon.
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.
I baked them at 180 C for 8 minutes because that’s when the bottom came cleanly off the tray and it was niiice and soft.
I kind of want to try this with a lemon glaze next time but would probably have to bake it more for that. Note to Future Self to do that.
Caution: Cricket Talk Ahead
I’m not super optimistic about this world cup – mostly because I missed the buildup – also because it’s in England and so England think they’re going to win and they’re actually annoyingly good right now (but are led by an Irish captain and have THREE POC so it wouldn’t be the worst thing if they won. Not like if Australia won.
But I would take any of these other 6 teams over them…In this exact order of preference:
- Afghanistan (who make us happy in both victory and defeat)
- Pakistan (who we very often wish we weren’t attached to but here we are)
- Bangladesh – South Africa (the former as a rule and the latter because AMLA also the rest of them are pretty awesome too)
- West Indies – New Zealand (both super cool though no Muslims atm)
Worst Scenarios in order of maximum to lower level sadness:
- Sri Lanka (long-standing record of 0 minority players and, well, minority over here sooo representation please?)
- Australia (do I need to explain?)
- India (politics.)
- England (sigh.)
I’m writing this up here mostly as part of an archive of my ever-changing cricket team loyalties. Also for me to refer to when I myself forget and am unsure as to who to support on a given day. For example, it appears that today I will be neutral as per List #1 Point No.3. Shout out to @sfizzle who understands me.