Hello Fizzles. Cricket’s not looking good so here is something to cheer everyone up because I’m sure you all care as much as I do.
I’ve been messing with apple crumble recipes for a while now and have finally come to something that suits my apple needs perfectly. If you are me then follow these instructions exactly. If you are not me then adjust as you see fit.
- Chop 4 apples (more if you prefer a higher apple to crumble ratio)
- Put it in a pot with 2 tbs honey (unless you don’t need it to be any sweeter) and 1 tbs lemon juice.
- Let that get soft over the fire. I like to add 1 tsp cornstarch so it gets a bit more like a sauce.
- When that’s as soft as you want it, sprinkle some nutmeg and put anywhere from ¼ to 2 tsp cinnamon. I like more cinnamon.
- Leave that in a baking dish.
- For the crumble, I’ve been trying it with oats a lot, but it always gets soft and chewy instead of crispy (solutions anyone?) So instead I used ¾ cup oat flour which felt like the perfect texture – in between normal flour and oats. Grandmother thought it was semolina. Mix it with 1/3 cup sugar, but in retrospect even that could have been reduced if you’re feeling uber healthy. And crumble that with maybe 2 tbs butter. I used 3 and it was not crumbly. Still very nice though. In fact I might prefer more butter.
- Put that over the apples and bake for 20-30 mins. Oat flour is usually annoying because it just does not get brown so it’s harder to tell when it’s done. I forgot about the sugar in it though and let it sit for a bit on the top oven ledge. I might have overdone it a teensy bit.
Final instruction is to consume fresh from the oven and while cricket is being sad. It will make things better.